Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Created


What an amazing world we live in! Do you stop to consider it – the beauty that surrounds us daily? Sometimes we make opportunity to be amazed by God’s creation – a vacation at the lake, a trip through the mountains, a hike through the woods in fall as the leaves are changing. Occasionally the moments that take our breath away seem more random. The northern lights dancing on a cold December night, the scent of lilacs in spring, the wonder of a newborn…

Do words ever fail you? Phrases from scripture come to mind… "…the whole earth is full of His glory." "...the heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands." (Ps.19:1)

Even if I were a poet and could pen the most splendid verse, it would still fall short in describing the magnificence that is this created world.

In the record of creation from Genesis, day after day, as God completed that day’s work we are told that "God saw that it was good." After six days of creative work that included the creation of man & woman in God’s image, scripture tells us that "God saw all that he had made, and it was very good." (Gen. 1:31) Kind of a master of understatement!

In taking a very basic anatomy course a few years ago, I began to see how intricate and complex our human form is…I was amazed over and over again. Again, a phrase from scripture… "I am fearfully and wonderfully made…"

I believe that, and yet it can be painful to walk past a mirror…because while I can acknowledge that I was knit together in my mother’s womb, I look in that mirror and see the shortcomings, the failures, the brokenness and all the parts that aren’t quite enough…

One of the problems with remembering ‘phrases’ from scripture can be that they are just that – ‘phrases’. We need to read the entire thought.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Ps. 139:13, 14)

It was not just my physical form that God put together. He "created my inmost being" – the part that makes me – me.

Think about this. There is a word that is not in God’s vocabulary. He did not use this word once as he created this world. He did not use it as he created man and woman. He has not used it since that time as he has continued to create – knitting each of us together. That word is "OOPS!" Seriously!

He still wants to mold us – still wants us to grow into the image of His Son, but we are fearfully and wonderfully made, inside and out. You are His creation. His creation! No "oops". There is nothing in you that takes him by surprise. Created by Him, for Him and He delights in you!

God’s works – that means you – are wonderful. Know that full well!

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment