Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tasting Discipleship - Pt. 1


The first time I had someone disciple me I was in jr. high. I remember I had seen and known a girl who was in high school whom I secretly admired. She was someone people respected and also was super cool - lol. The great thing was that she was an active member at my church, led drama team and was a leader in our youth group. As a young woman, she had an understanding of who she was in Christ and I remember the feeling of encouragement and empowerment that radiated off of her. I also knew in my young heart I wanted to be like her. Fast track five years and I found myself, shockingly enough, her position. Leader at youth, leading drama team and being asked (and sometimes non creepily followed) by younger girls who wanted to spend time with me. I often look back at Kristen and think, if she had thought she couldn’t invest in someone, or just would rather not and shrugged me off, my jr. and sr. years would have looked very different. She took time out of her busy weeks to take me out for lunch, coffee and even as simple as giving me a ride to drama class or hanging out with me after church for a bit. It was about simply spending time with her. Nothing had to be perfect or organized.

Discipleship, in my honest and personal opinion, should never have a set of rules…other than The Word. Kristen taught me to pray out loud; before then I was waaaay too shy. She was one of the first women I saw preach and teach, and every time I speak or teach now I remember how the Lord taught me through her. She taught me that it's all about Him and His glory. She taught me that even if you’re young God is still going to use you to change people’s lives. She also taught me how to disciple others...just do it. One night before she was leaving to attend Master’s Commission in Illinois she took me aside and told me that she now was passing the leadership and discipleship of the drama team to me. She prayed over me and when she came back at Christmas spent time with me going over things and still pouring into my life. I, through her discipleship and through God’s timing, attended Master’s Commission also after graduation. Today its been 10-15 years since those first initial imprints were made on me and I look at what God has done in and through it. I am amazed that how when one of us simply gives a little of who we are (faults included) that others, for God’s glory, are forever changed. Today within my design company and in my personal life I always have two discipleship circles. Its an ongoing part of my life that I have set aside time for. In the busyness of work, ministry, my other relationships I see discipleship as something that is essential to our lives as Godly women. Throughout the New Testament Paul so beautifully illustrated both the discipling and being discipled example for believers. I encourage you take a few moments out today and read through 2 Timothy, all three chapters, its only two pages, allow it to help you see the love and overall incredible working of Christ through a discipleship relationship. As you’re reading, ask God, to help you to see more HIS bigger picture and how discipleship is about so much more than what we see here on earth, right now.*

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment