Thursday, April 19, 2012

Shopping


Yes, sometimes you have to go shopping! Live aware!

This week we were out shopping for some new clothing and footwear. I was delighted to be able to make some great finds and even more so with a crazy, unexpected insight. At one point my husband looked down at my feet, looked into my eyes and said, “Honey, it's time”. Little did I know that it was the start of realizing just how complacent I had become – about my choice of footwear. He gently pointed out that the shoes I had been wearing were very broken down and looked like they were uncomfortable – YIKES! He was right! Please tell me I'm not the only gal with a pair of favourite, convenient slip on shoes – past their time. Had they served me well? Yes! Was it time for a change? YES!

As we perused the shoe aisles, I found a few pairs that I liked – some unavailable in the size I needed (which of course changed depending on the brand). I get so frustrated by that – why can't there be universal sizing on shoes and clothes and such? I must admit I love to shop but hate the time it can consume. My sweet husband was amazing though – sifting through all the styles and colours and encouraging me along. As it came closer to decision time, I found myself comparing what I liked about different shoes and found myself already adjusting what I was willing to “settle” for. Once again, I ~almost~ bought a pair that looked cute – but wasn't necessarily comfortable – till I stopped myself and determined that I only wanted to take home what really worked.

Why am I sharing all these details? Well, have you ever “settled” for stuff in your life? Just getting by? The convenience of the familiar or the ordinary? Unwilling to be inconvenienced or changed? Me too...those shoes were no longer comfortable to wear, they were no longer attractive and they needed to be changed.

So it is with our attitudes and habits. Sometimes, we need to be reminded and encouraged that it may be time for a change. How are your attitudes and habits serving you?

The District WOMEN's team was in Dryden, ON this past weekend with Arlene Mason who shared on Micah 6:8. It says, "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Now, those are some worthwhile disciplines!

Press in and press on,
Giselle

P.S. The shoes I wore in the store were promptly thrown away and replaced as we left it.

No comments:

Post a Comment