Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Perspective


A few weeks ago I heard a sermon about Gideon that has given me lots to ponder. Do you know the story of Gideon? It begins in Judges 6 … go read it. I’ll wait.

I just want to look a bit at the beginning of this story. An angel appears to Gideon and says “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.” (Judges 6:12). In the context of the whole story this isn’t odd, however at the moment that it is proclaimed, it seems really out of place.

Gideon is not even a soldier. He is a farmer, trying to salvage some harvest in secret. Using a winepress to thresh grain. Hiding from the enemy.

Resourceful - yes! Mighty warrior – I don’t think so!

Gideon evidently didn’t think so either. In essence he says, ‘Really God?? If you are with us what about all this stuff that is going on? And – you tell me to go in strength – what strength?’ He says, "I am the least in my family." I am a nobody…

Gideon wasn’t wrong in what he said but it is all about perspective. Gideon only saw the present. God knew the plan.

The encouragement, the promises that Gideon needed to grab hold of are two phrases spoken by this messenger. "Am I not sending you?" (vs14) and "the Lord answered, I will be with you…" (vs16).

When the angel greeted Gideon with the title ‘mighty warrior’, it is almost like it is spoken as a promise.

I am calling you … sending you … I will be with you …you may be hiding in a winepress now but I have a plan for you and I will equip you.

What if God calls you to something …something that may take you out of the relative safety of the winepress?

Do you ask the ‘who am I’ questions? You are HIS! And that means that not only does he call you but he will also go with you and equip you! You don’t go alone. You don’t accomplish in your own strength.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Is. 41:10)

Ruth

1 comment: